Frequently Asked Questions
Tips for using ZipBy
Simply download the ZipBy app, free through App Store and Google Play, and register for a ZipBy account.
When you drive-up to a ZipBy gate, the system will automatically detect you and raise the gate on entry and exit. There’s no need to touch your phone or interact with the app. It’s a ‘touchless’ process.
Take a look at our instructional videos. It’s an easy way to see how ZipBy works.
- ZipBy is a touchless app. You don’t need to open the app to use it. As long as you have an active account, ZipBy will start-up in the background and let you in and out of the parking location.
- Just drive up to the ticket machine and stop. You’ll see the ZipBy branding on the columns at the entrance of the parking location. Your ZipBy app will open the gate automatically.
- Make sure your Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, Location Services and Motion and Fitness settings are turned on at all times.
ZipBy does not track or use your location, or any other data from these services, except to open the parking gate on entry and exit at the ZipBy parking location.
- You must have Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, and Location Services turned on before you drive into the parking location. Please note, Location Services must be set to ‘Always’. If they’re only on while you are using the ZipBy app, you will not be able to exit the parking location.
Please do not turn off these services while you are inside the ZipBy parking location.
- Best Phone Placement: For the fastest entry and exit, we recommend you place your phone next to you in the centre of the vehicle – ideally, in a central console cup-holder or in a windshield/dashboard mount. The ZipBy app may not work if your phone is in a pocket or tucked away in a handbag or briefcase.
- Home – Takes you back to the home screen showing your current and past parking sessions.
- Booking – enables you to make a booking for a car space that’s within your city. If you want to make a booking at a parking location in another city, you can search for the location using ‘Near me’. Note that not all ZipBy parking locations have an active booking system.
- Find Us – In some cases, a parking location operator or retail outlet offers a parking discount. For example, it’s common for movie theatre operators to offer their patrons discounted parking. We call this a ‘validation’. To make sure this discount is passed onto you, we create a QR code for that discount/validation. As you leave the garage, scan the downloaded QR code, and the discount will be applied. You’ll then receive a receipt with the details of the validation.
- Payment – Allows
you to search for ZipBy equipped sites within your city.
- Help Now – Call or email ZipBy Support if you need help.
This feature will allow you to safely transfer an open session to another ZipBy user so they can exit the parking location without taking your phone.
To transfer a current open parking session to another ZipBy user, click on the Session Transfer app on the ZipBy home screen. A list of current open sessions for the user is displayed.
- Select the session to be transferred by tapping on the required session name.
- You will be asked to provide the ZipBy ID for the user the session is to be transferred to.
- Click on Transfer to initiate. The screen will provide a pin number for the recipient.
- The recipient will receive notification to complete the Session Transfer.
- If you cancel, you will be returned to the list of active sessions, thereby cancelling the Session Transfer.
Once you download and register with ZipBy, using the app is quite straightforward. Just make sure you have your mobile settings switched on.
For the ZipBy app to work, you need to have Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, Location Services and Motion and Fitness phone settings turned on at all times. If these settings are not switched-on, or if Location Services is not switched to ‘Always’, you’ll see a warning that ‘ZipBy IS DISABLED’. You’ll then be prompted to adjust your settings.
No problem. Our advanced detection system will detect the driver of the vehicle via their handset 99% of the time. On the odd occasion it doesn’t detect the driver, you can use Session Transfer to move the session to the driver’s phone.
For the fastest entry and exit, we recommend you place your phone next to you in the centre of the vehicle. The best places are in a central console cup-holder or in a windshield/dashboard mount. The ZipBy app may not work if your phone is in a pocket or tucked away in a handbag or briefcase.
For your ZipBy app to work, you need to have Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, Location Services and Motion and Fitness phone settings turned on at all times. Note that Location Services need to be on ‘Always’ for the app to work.
When the ZipBy app is launched for the first time after the application is installed, your phone will display messages to set-up the required settings.
- Motion & Fitness Activity – reply OK to allow ZipBy to work out whether the user is walking or driving.
- Access Location – reply ‘Always Allow’ to allow the application to work seamlessly.
- Location Services – Location Services should be set to ‘Always’.
If these settings are not in place, you’ll see an alert on your phone to remind you to switch them on.
It’s important that you don’t turn off these services while you are inside the ZipBy parking location, otherwise the app will not work and you’ll be unable to exit. If these settings are not switched-on, you’ll see a warning that ‘ZipBy IS DISABLED’ and you’ll be prompted to adjust your settings.
Not all parking locations are powered by the ZipBy system yet. You can use the app to park in any parking location where you see the ZipBy logo on the entry and exit columns. To locate your nearest ZipBy parking location, use the location finder in the app.
You can use the ZipBy app to park in any parking location where you see the ZipBy logo on the entry and exit columns. To locate your nearest ZipBy parking location, use the location finder in the app. You’ll find ZipBy at many hospitals, universities, shopping centres and commercial car parking locations.
It sometimes happens that the person who used their ZipBy app when entering a parking location, isn’t the same person who drives out. In this case, go to the ‘Session Transfer’ feature in the app.
This feature allows you to safely transfer the open session to another ZipBy user so they can exit the garage without taking your phone.
You have two options:
- Take a parking ticket upon entry, as usual, or
- Press the intercom button and provide your ZipBy ID/Name or email address that you used to create the ZipBy account. The parking operator will create a session for you so you can enter or exit using the ZipBy app.
Press the intercom button and ask the person who answers the intercom call to allow you to exit after providing your ZipBy user details (ZipBy ID, name or email address).
Open the app on your phone and click on the Help Centre icon. Here you can choose if you want to talk to one of our ZipBy support team (24/7 customer service) or email the ZipBy support team with a description of the issue.
You can easily reset your password via the app.
When you register to use ZipBy, you’ll be asked to enter your credit card details. As you exit a parking location, your credit card will be automatically debited with the parking fee. You’ll pay the normal parking fee – there’s no extra charge for using ZipBy.
No, it won’t cost you anything extra to use the ZipBy app. You’ll pay the normal parking fee charged.
You can use American Express, MasterCard and Visa credit or debit cards when setting-up your ZipBy account profile.
Before you head out on your journey, go into the ZipBy app Payment settings, remove your old credit card details and enter your replacement credit card information.
We understand the importance of keeping your credit card and personal details safe. Your credit card numbers are never stored in any of our records and all transactions occur within a secured payment gateway.
Using the email address you entered when setting-up your ZipBy account profile, the ZipBy system automatically emails you the parking receipt as you exit the parking location.
You can review your payment history within the app or you can access the ZipBy website to check all your transactions and receipts. To access the website, enter the same details you use to access the ZipBy app.
Using the email address you entered when setting-up your ZipBy account profile, the receipt from your parking session is automatically emailed to you upon exit.
Both Android and iPhone smartphones are compatible, but they must be no older than 4 years.
The ZipBy App enables your smartphone to communicate with the parking system console via Bluetooth, WiFi and cellular services.
No. We do not track you outside the use of the app.